Saturday, January 14, 2012

NeaT and TiDy

I'm not sure who to give credit to for this idea... just can't remember where I saw it... but it made an impression on me. So during the week while tidying up a cupboard in my son's old room I thought I'd try it out... and it worked a treat!
I thought I'd pass it on here...

All the sheet/s & pillow cases etc, for a bed...
are folded up and stored in one of the cases...
All neat and tidy on a shelf...
Ready for use when they're needed!
What a great idea... Thanks ????
I bought this great pattern in Canada while travelling around in New Brunswick and thought I'd show it here. 
I thought it would make a great runner for my dining table... so I've added it to my WIP list. It's from the Little Scraps collection from This and That (a pattern by Sherry K Falls) called "Around the Bend". It will measure 16in x 41in... just a perfect size for my table.

I would also like to start off another  "PaY iT FoRWaRD"  for 2012.  
You'll have 12 months to complete your PIF (if you want to play)... so there's plenty of time. You have my Quilters Honour that I will send a handmade gift to three people (sometime during the year when you least expect it)... no catches and totally free, so if you are interested just leave a comment on this post only please. If I have more than 3 interested than I'll draw 3 names from a hat... very scientific...but it works..  grin... so give it some thought. 
For more on how a PIF works... go HERE. I'll leave this open for a few days or until it fills.
You won't know when and you won't know what... but you will receive!
Valentine's Day... Initial Heart Swap...  is now CLOSED.
I'll get partners names out as soon as possible.
Remember that YOUR heart MUST reach your partner NO LATER than Feb 13th... so perhaps mail off around Feb 7th.  Thanks.

URGENT: JoAnn H...I still need you to email me asap !

And finally... let me ask you all, 2 questions...
1. Do you wash your quilts before you give them away?
2. Do you line dry or machine dry them?
I'm curious what others do...
Cheers

20 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thanks for the great tip on the bedding storage. I'm definitely going to start doing that.
I usually don't wash the quilts I make before I give them away. I machine dry all of my quilts.
Have a wonderful weekend, Cheryll!

Melissa Graham said...

I need to do this with all of our bedding. Maybe then the closet would not throw things out at me on sheet changing days. I would live to join you in the pay it forward fun. I'm not a quilter but I don't was the crochet items I make before giving them. The lovely quilts that have been lovingly made for me do get thrown in the dryer. Have a great day girl.
Melissa

Teresa F. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa F. said...

Great storage tip.
I would have never thought of that and it's so simple and effective.
I'love to join your pay it forward.
I usually wash my quilts and always line dry them.
Hugs,
Teresa

Tarnyia said...

Love the storage tip... I don't usually wash the quilts as everything is new... only if I have been working on it for awhile would I wash it... and I line dry xxx

Fiona said...

great storage tip..... I do wash my quilts before I give them away... always.... I have done a mixture of machine and line drying... no preference as yet
Hugz

RandR Serenity said...

Hi Cheryll,
Love the idea of PIF,
Would love to join, what a wonderful idea, to give and receive a little handmade gift through out the year.

http://raelenesramblings.blogspot.com

Annie said...

What a fantastic idea for the linen cupboard...my kids now change their own beds and no matter how hard I try to keep the cupboard piles tidy they inevitably end up a mess.....that is going to be a this week task. Thanks for sharing Cheryll :)

donna said...

Love the idea for the sheets. I wash my quilts before I give them away. I wash them on delicate and dry them in the dryer. I have done this with old quilts as well and they turn out fine and smell so much better.
Hugs
donna

Toni said...

I've also seen that pillowcase tip, I think its going viral lol. I love the table runner pattern looks like a interesting idea.

sandra said...

No I don't wash quilts before giving them. Dry them on the line on a nice windy day.

Kaisievic said...

Silly me - I left a comment on your PIF description. Then wondered why the post was dated January 20!

Please count me in for you PIF.

Hugs, kaye xoxox

Valspierssews said...

I saw the pillow case tip ages ago and used it while I had 3 sets of sheets for the bed. It seemed a bit of over kill now I only have 2 sets. It does keep them neat. The only two quilts I have made have had quite a bit of applique on them so I washed them to make sure all the bits were secure. One was a gift. I pegged them on the line.

Binsa said...

Hi Cheryll, with washing of the quilts....I normally before piecing check to see if the colours run...ie burgundy, black, navy.....if so I wash all the fabrics..with salt and vinegar to set the dye...if the colour keeps running I disgard the fabric....everyyear I gentle machine wash my quilts and hang them to dry on the clothesline.....also have dried them in the dryer...but prefer to line dry them....with the backing on the sun side...Regards, O'faigh

Gayle said...

Great storage idea, will give it a go to keep my cupboards tidy.

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

I do that with my sheets. With 4 kids it it easier to grab the one bundle when changing the beds and not go looking for the missing pillow case. If a quilt is for a gift I usually dont wash before giving but to dry I use a mix of onthe line and in the dryer ... just depends on the weather :)

Sheila said...

I wash all my fabrics before making a quilt but do not wash the quilt before giving it to someone ,however when I do wash I hang them on the line to dry . Great idea for storing the bedding .

Allie said...

I too think that's a brilliant idea, if I had any matching sheets and pillowcases I would do it, lol. Mine are all vintage finds, I'm afraid - no matchy-matchy here...that's a darling table runner, can't wait to see it made up!

Yes, I do wash every quilt that leaves my house. Especially since I have a cat and dog, some folks are allergic. Also, sometimes it's the only time loose threads show up! And I do machine dry them, I make my quilts to be well used.

Carin@Ullhärvan said...

Please count me in for your PIF!

Unknown said...

Hi Cheryl.........I love the storage idea and have done so for some time now...thanks for sharing. When I give a quilt away I do not wash it. If I want it to look really old I will wash it after I have sewn the binding on but otherwise not.
Also...I am doing the pay it forward here in the states. I don;t know where you are located. You have a wonderful blog. I don't have one but I enjoy reading them. Thanks.......Mary Pat