Sunday, July 28, 2019

Once a Layer Cake

... but now a BaBY's FLooR/PLaY quilt...
I had a Moda LaYeR CaKe (gifted from someone) called  Cape Ann sitting on my shelf for ages... soooo ...

I decided to cut some of the layers into 4 pieces.

I arranged the fabric... then stitched it together...

Next I cut it apart...👀

Shuffled it around, then stitched it back together again...
Us quilters are a cRaZy bunch... aren't we ...

I used the basic disappearing 9 patch method... but used a slight placement variation.
I made a bunch more... 12 in total... sewed the rows together... AND ... voila...!!!

I think it turned out quite gOOd really... AND... I have lots of layers left over... so another MiNi quilt is on the planning table. This time ... just for FuN... I'll use another disappearing block.
The play quilt above measures 36 inch x 48 inch & now needs to be backed, quilted & the binding added.

* * * * *

10 comments:

Vireya said...

Very cute!

Betsy said...

Gene, it totally adorable. I actually need to make some baby quilts. Could you share the cutting sizes for that block?

Pink Rose said...

Good morning Chez wow this is so pretty and you did it in now time,great to get some of your stash used,hope you have a lovely Sunday my friend xx

Maria said...

Fantastic play mat...

Janice said...

Looking good! You did well to still have all the little dresses up the same way. I’m sure it will be well loved and used. Enjoy playing with the rest of the fabric.

Fiona said...

it looks fabulous...
Hugz

Cheryll said...

Hi Betsy.. I emailed you but it was returned...
But I used several 10inch layers from a layer cake cut into 4...so each starting block measured 5 inch. Hope this helps...xox

June's Jottings said...

That looks so good Cheryl, I love the colours. Think I have made a quilt quite some time ago using that principle of cutting and joining.

Karen S said...

Great result. I do like the way you have lined up the fabrics. It looks so effective with the blue and white spot all heading the same way.

Bethan said...

Excellent use of the layer cake! I tend to favour this version of a disappearing nine patch as well; I like the random nature of it x